Are you exhausted at the end of every day? Does the thought of getting home and whipping up a meal for your family make your mind wander to a vacation on white sandy beaches and the surf between your toes? Then maybe it’s time you considered a toaster oven as a simple way to create delicious home-cooked meals that will delight the family and take you under twenty minutes from start to finish.
Don’t believe me? Then take a look at these 5 Toaster Oven Meals that will surprise and delight the family, and make you feel like a MasterChef with no effort at all.
Let’s start with a simple classic.
1. The Toaster Oven Tortilla Pizza
A whole new way of thinking about pizzas.
· Spread out a 10-inch wholewheat tortilla
· Cover the top with a layer of marinara sauce
· Sprinkle a good portion of reduced fat cheese over the sauce
· Add vegetables of your choice (e.g., mushrooms, onions, olives)
· Pop it in the toaster oven and toast away!
That one is so simple that you should be able to do it with your eyes closed. And while it may impress your kids, it’s probably not something to serve on a hot date.
2. Lasagna Toast
This classic may take a little longer than the tortilla pizza, but the results are worth it.
· Preheat toaster oven to 450 F and toast bread until golden
· Combine zucchini, garlic and oil and microwave for 4 minutes, then add tomatoes, salt & pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 3 minutes
· Thinly slice some basil, ricotta, pecorino, salt & pepper
· Spread a quarter of the ricotta mix on each slice, then add the tomato mix, and top each slice with mozzarella.
· Pop into toaster oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes
Let’s move away from the bread-based options for a while and take a look at another incredible, easy option.
3. Parmesan Baked Eggs
You won’t believe how good these results are, and how easy to achieve.
· Butter a few baking dishes
· Pour ¼ cup of marinara sauce into each dish, and add capers if your family eats them
· Crack two eggs into each dish on top of the marinara
· Top the eggs with 1 tablespoon cream, and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
· Sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper
· Set toaster oven to 400 degrees, then bake for 10-15 minutes, until the egg whites harden and the yokes are done to your satisfaction
· Garnish with chopped chives & serve with hot, buttered toast
How easy is that, right? And totally delicious. Just because a dish is easy to make, doesn’t mean it won’t look and taste superb. That’s 3 great toaster oven meals down, and 2 to go!
4. Garlic Kale Chips
If you’ve been on a health-kick recently, then you’ll know the value of kale. It’s a great source of fiber, calcium, and iron and has more anti-oxidants than any other fruit or veggie.
· Rinse and dry the kale, then remove the stems
· Tear into bite-sized pieces, then coat the kale with coconut oil, before adding salt and pepper and a hint of garlic
· Lay the kale chips out in a single layer and toast in the toaster oven for 7 minutes
Simple and easy, healthy and delicious. Everything we like about toaster ovens is summed up in those four words.
5. Miso-glazed salmon
The idea of cooking salmon at home strikes fear into the heart of many cooks. But there is no need for that…Here’s an incredibly simple and easy way to make melt-in-your-mouth salmon with the humble toaster oven.
· Whip together a bowl of miso, sake, soy sauce, oil, and sugar.
· Spread the sauce all over the salmon fillet.
· Wrap it up in a sealable container for at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 2 days.
· Take a broiler pan and cover it with aluminum foil.
· Preheat the toaster oven, while rubbing off any excess marinade from the salmon.
· Broil until the surface is well charred and the middle is slightly warm. (If any areas are starting to burn, use the foil to protect them). The process should be approximately 5 minutes.
So that’s our list of 5 amazing meals you never thought you could cook with a toaster oven. We hope you found this helpful and that you’ll be looking at your toaster oven with new eyes now that you know what she is really capable of.