A variety of rice cookers of different sizes are available in the market, and this makes it harder to choose one that’s right for you. Size is the main thing to consider while choosing a rice cooker.
The right rice cooker size for you
Rice cookers of different sizes are available for household and commercial use:
• For household use, 3-cup and 6-cup rice cookers are commonly used.
• For commercial use, you can get larger 10-cup and 20-cup rice cookers.
• While describing the size of a rice cooker, the cup provided with it is usually used as a standard measure.
• Normally, that cup contains 6 – 8 ounces of rice, depending on the model.
• You can make 1½ to 2 ½ cups of steamed or cooked rice with one cup of uncooked rice.
• While choosing a rice cooker, you need to keep this in mind to assess its capacity.
Though the amount of rice you will get after it has been cooked in a rice cooker depends mainly on the quantity of water and the type of rice you have used, it will be close to the approximate figure given above.
3-cup rice cooker
A 3-cup rice cooker can cook up to 3 cups of raw rice, providing up to 6 cups of steamed or cooked rice. This also depends on the quality of the rice and the quantity of water used for this purpose. This rice cooker may be the right choice for a small family in which 4-5 people eat rice in one meal.
6-cup rice cooker
Rice cookers of this size are bestsellers. This rice cooker can cook up to 6 cups of raw rice, giving you 9 – 10 cups of steamed or cooked rice. On an average, this rice cooker can be used to make rice for 5 – 7 people in one meal.
It may be the right choice if you have a small family, which consumes rice more than once a day. It can also provide rice for two meals, which is cooked once in a day. In this way, this rice cooker will also reduce your energy consumption.
Some of the rice cookers of this size also have a warm feature, which keeps the rice warm and in good condition until you eat it on the same day.
10-cup rice cooker
A rice cooker of this size can cook up to 10 cups of raw rice, providing nearly 20 cups of steamed or cooked rice. These rice cookers are suitable for large families or small restaurants where 15 – 20 people eat rice at one meal.
It’s good for medium-size families too if rice is the main ingredient of the daily diet. Most of the rice cookers in this category have a warm feature to keep the rice nice and warm for the entire day so that it can be used at the next meal on the same day.
Check out our pressure cooker reviews.
20-cup rice cooker
These rice cookers can make up to 20 cups of raw rice to serve nearly 35 – 40 people at one meal. They are mainly used for commercial purposes. Their keep-warm mode can keep your rice nice and warm throughout the day so it can be used later on that day.
While buying a larger rice cooker, bear in mind that it should not be filled to its maximum capacity. To get the best results, fill it to 1/2 or 3/4 of its maximum capacity. Whether you want to use a rice cooker at home or commercially, the information provided in this article will help you to pick one of the right size.
Incoming search terms:
- electric rice cooker for 3 persons
- rice cooker size for 1 person
- size rice cooker for family
- what size of rice
- what size rice cooker for family of 5
- Which size of rice cooker need for 3 people